Vape pods have become a popular choice for vapers due to their user-friendly nature and wide variety of options. A key element of a vape pod is the coil.
This essay will explore the purpose of a vape pod coil, its various types, its functionality, and its benefits.
What Is A Vape Pod?
Before discussing vape pod coils, it is important to clearly understand what a vape pod is.
A vape pod is a type of vape device that consists of a battery and a “pod” instead of a traditional vape tank.
The pod serves the same purpose as a vape tank, holding the coil and E-liquid. However, it is a sealed unit, and some pods have non-replaceable coils while others come pre-filled with vape juice.
Vape pods have gained popularity due to their user-friendly nature. They are typically very easy to use, offering a plug-and-play vaping experience.
Initially designed for smokers transitioning to vaping, the variety of pod styles has rapidly expanded, including advanced pod mods that provide more features and customization options.
What Is A Vape Pod Coil?
A vape pod coil is a crucial component of a vape pod that heats the E-liquid and converts it into vapour.
It consists of a small metal element, typically made of kanthal, stainless steel, or nickel-chromium alloy.
The coil is surrounded by a cotton wick, which absorbs the E-liquid and brings it into direct contact with the coil.
There are several types of vape pod coils available:
- Regular Coils: These are the standard coils that come with most vape pod systems. They offer a good balance between flavour and vapour production.
- Mesh Coils: Mesh coils have a larger surface area, allowing for better heat distribution and faster ramp-up time. This results in enhanced flavour and increased vapour production.
- Ceramic Coils: Ceramic coils have a longer lifespan and better heat retention compared to regular coils. They provide a smooth and consistent vaping experience.
How Do Vape Pod Coils Work?
When a vape pod is activated, the battery sends power to the coil, which heats up. This heating process is crucial as it triggers the vaporization of the E-liquid. As the coil heats up, the E-liquid-soaked cotton wick begins to vaporize the E-liquid, transforming it into an inhalable vapour.
This transformation occurs due to the interaction between the heat generated by the coil and the E-liquid on the cotton wick. It is important to note that the resistance of the coil plays a significant role in determining the required power and operating temperature for the coil to function optimally.
By adjusting the resistance, vapers can customize their vaping experience to suit their preferences and achieve the desired vapour production and flavour intensity.
Types Of Vape Pods And Their Coils
Vape pods can be divided into two categories: open and closed systems, each with its advantages and disadvantages and suited to different types of vapers.
- Open tank vape system
An open tank vape pod is essentially a regular vape setup in the form of a pod but with some modifications to make it extremely convenient. You can change the coils and refill the vape juice, just like with a vape tank.
However, the coils are push-fit, and the filling process is very simple. This type of vape pod is perfect for experienced vapers who prefer a hassle-free daily vaping experience.
- Closed tank vape system
Closed tank systems are designed with smaller pods and require even less maintenance. As the name suggests, the pod is sealed, so you cannot change the coil, and most of them come pre-filled with E-liquid.
This means that when the E-liquid runs out, or the coil stops working, you replace the entire pod instead of just changing coils or refilling.
Closed systems usually have a simple battery with a fixed wattage output and no adjustable settings. If you are a smoker looking to try vaping for the first time, a closed tank system is a great option to start with.
How To Replace Vape Pod Coils
Vape pod coils are a crucial component of both open and closed-tank vape systems. These coils heat the E-liquid and convert it into vapour.
However, over time, the coils can wear out or become clogged, leading to a decrease in vapour production and flavour.
Therefore, it is important to know the step-by-step process of replacing vape pod coils in both open and closed-tank vape systems.
Replace Vape Pod Coils: Open Tank Vape System
An open tank vape system, also known as a refillable pod system, allows users to manually refill the E-liquid into the pod.
To replace the vape pod coil in an open tank system, follow these steps:
- Remove the pod: Start by detaching the pod from the device. Most open tank systems have a magnetic connection for easy removal.
- Empty the E-liquid: Before replacing the coil, it is important to empty the remaining E-liquid from the pod. You can do this by either vaping it until it’s empty or pouring it out.
- Remove the old coil: Unscrew the old coil from the bottom of the pod. Take care not to damage the pod or any other components.
- Prime the new coil: Apply a few drops of E-liquid onto the cotton-wicking material of the new vape pod coil. This process, called priming, helps prevent dry hits and improves E-liquid absorption.
- Install the new coil: Screw the new coil securely into the bottom of the pod. Avoid overtightening, as it can damage the coil or pod.
- Fill the pod: Fill the pod with your preferred E-liquid, making sure not to exceed the maximum fill line indicated on the pod.
- Let it sit: After filling the pod, allow it to sit for a few minutes to ensure that the coil is fully saturated with E-liquid.
- Reattach the pod: Once the coil is properly primed and the pod is filled, reattach it securely to the device.
Replace Vape Pod Coils: Closed Tank Vape System
In a closed tank vape system, also known as a disposable pod system, the pod comes pre-filled with E-liquid and cannot be refilled.
To replace the vape pod coil in a closed tank system, follow these steps:
- Remove the old pod: Start by removing the old pod from the device. Most closed tank systems have a click-in mechanism for easy removal.
- Dispose of the old pod: Properly dispose of the old pod according to local regulations. Some pods can be recycled, while others need to be thrown away.
- Insert the new pod: Take a new pod and securely insert it into the device, making sure it clicks into place.
- Allow it to sit: After inserting the new pod, let it sit for a few minutes to ensure that the coil is fully saturated with E-liquid.
- Start vaping: Once the coil is properly primed, you can start vaping with your closed tank vape system.
In conclusion, a vape pod coil is an integral part of the vaping experience. It is responsible for heating the E-liquid and producing the vapour that is inhaled.
Whether it is an open or closed tank vape system, understanding and properly maintaining the vape pod coil is crucial for a satisfying and enjoyable vaping experience.
Vape Pod Coil: FAQ
How long does a vape pod coil last?
If you are a regular vaper but not particularly heavy, your coil could last a week or two. Irregular or casual vapers might find that they only need to change their coil every four weeks. Regardless of your vaping habits, however, it is recommended to consider E-cig Coil Replacement at least once a month.
How many puffs before I change my coil?
As a general guideline, most coils are designed to last for several hundred to several thousand puffs before needing to be replaced. However, the actual lifespan of a coil can vary greatly depending on factors such as the type of coil, wattage settings, E-liquid composition, and personal vaping habits.
How do I know if my pod coil is burnt?
- Burnt taste
- Bubbling noise
- Weak flavour
- Little vapour
- Leaking device